Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I Can't But I will


A few weeks ago, I did something that I did not think was possible.  I. RAN. FOR. TWO. MILES. WITHOUT. STOPPING!  Don’t ask me how long it took, that’s not even the point of the story, don’t steal my moment.  Ok so back to my story, I ran the entire 8 laps on the outdoor track without stopping.  I started off with failure in mind, no determination to actually run the entire distance.  Before I began, I had already concluded that it was too difficult and not possible.   BEFORE I STARTED I CAME TO THIS CONCLUSION!  

I ran the first lap and decided that it was too hard and that I would just walk the other one, alternating running and walking until I completed the 8 laps.  BUT THEN  sheer determination kicked in after the first lap, I thought, “hey I just ran one, why not two, and then I will walk the third.”  I  completed the 3rd lap and thought, “ not too bad, why don’t I just keep going?”   I had this conversation with myself and before I knew it, well a little while after, I had ran all 8 laps.  When I came to the 8th lap and had a few more yards in front of me, I mustered up enough strength to sprint the last few yards.  Ok, so to others it would have been a fast jog but for me, I was sprinting. AND THEN SWEET VICTORY WHEN MY FEET CROSSED THE FINISH LINE.  I accomplished something I didn’t think was possible.

Isnt this how it can sometimes be with our walk with Christ?  Many times we see what God is requiring of us, and before we even start we tell God we cant, it is just not possible.   I have had the I just cant do it, I don’t see how speech with God so many times.  I realize that while my mouth is saying I CANT, when I take a closer look what my unsurrendered heart is really saying  is I DON’T WANT TO.    

However like I learned that day on the track, if you are willing, it is possible.  In my relationship with God, I find that He is not asking if I can do it in my own strength, it is more, ARE YOU WILLING TO DO IT?   When I am willing, He gives me the strength to carry out the task, His grace kicks in.  People often  tell me how impressed they are at my ability to mother these five children but on my really humble days, instead of basking in the compliments,  I am willing to admit that I am not doing this on my own.  I am operating on sheer grace, cause truth be told, I have moments where I am at an absolute lost and don’t know how to respond when everyone is having a meltdown, INCLUDING ME!

God is not at all concerned about your ability and is more focused and your WILLINGNESS.  Your willingness points to your surrender, and I find that I cant really surrender to someone that I don’t trust.  If there is an absence of trust, then this diminishes the quality of the relationship.  OUCH!  Tough truth to swallow but truth nevertheless. 

What is God asking you to do that you have already said no to before you even start?  Is it a closer relationship with him?  Is it a career move, a relationship?  More sacrifice in your giving, service, use of your talents? Are you allowing the enemy to whisper thoughts of defeat telling you that you have been down this path before, and you will fail again?  Go ahead I encourage you to take one step in that direction and watch God’s grace kick in to accomplish what you deem to be impossible!

Philippians 2:13  NLT
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT
Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.


No comments:

Post a Comment